CLICK A THUMBNAIL FOR A BIGGER PICTURE AND THE BIGGER PICTURE TO RETURN HERE
All maps © Woolly Pictures 2010
Click on either map to go to the Google web site for an interactive map. Site opens in a new window.
NOTES ON CHANTRY
Chantry is a former industrial village based on the older hamlet of Little Elm, which was founded by James Fussell (1774-1845) of the family of edge-tool makers from Mells.
Here he built (circa 1825) his solid uncompromising mansion, the Chantry.
It is believed to take its name from the fact it stood on land with which a chantry at Whatley church had been endowed.
The ornamental lake below the mansion provided water powerfor the Fussell mills.
Around the house cottages were built that housed workers at the Chantry and Railroad works in the valley.
Chantry is one of Somerset’s eight ‘Thankful Villages’.
A term coined by the wrier Arthur Mee in the 1930’s to recognise those villages that suffered no loss of men during the First World War.
(Help this section to grow by sending your links here)
FACEBOOK - The village entry on Facebook.
DOCTOR WHO LOCATIONS - The entry for Chantry.