SHEPTON MALLET - Page 1
CLICK A THUMBNAIL FOR A BIGGER PICTURE AND THE BIGGER PICTURE TO RETURN HERE
All maps © Woolly Pictures 2006
Click on either map to go to the Multimap web site for an interactive map. Site opens in a new window.
NOTES ON SHEPTON MALLET
Shepton Mallet has been an industrial powerhouse for centuries and at least 120 generations have spent their lives in this small, self-contained and friendly market town.
‘Sceapton’ or Sheep Fold was once an Anglo Saxon village.
Over the next few centuries it grew into a prosperous market town, its wealth based on sheep and wool.
The fine parish church, the market cross and the ‘shambles’ all date from this period.
Its name is also synonymous with its prison, built in 1610 and the country’s oldest working jail.
Still operational today, it housed French prisoners of war during the Napoleonic Wars.
During the Second World War, Cell 10 was used to protect some of the nation’s treasures.
The magnificent 19th century building ‘The Anglo’ was built in 1864 to brew light beers for export to all parts of the British Empire.
It is alleged that it was the first brewery in the country to brew lager.
Originally called ‘The Anglo Bavarian Brewery’, its name was changed to ‘The Anglo’ at the beginning of the First World War.
This was to dissociate itself from any German connection.
Sources: Somerset Life Magazine and the Webmaster.
LINKS TO WEB SITES RELATED TO SHEPTON MALLET
(Help this section to grow by sending your links here)
SHEPTON MALLET - The Official Town Council web site.
SHEPTON MALLET TOURIST INFORMATION & HERITAGE CENTRE - Loads of information, including accommodation for the surrounding area.
SHEPTON MALLET CAVING CLUB - Official site
SOMERSET COUNTY COUNCIL - Information on the town's Roman history.
SHEPTON MALLET JOURNAL - Official web site for the local newspaper.
SHEPTON DRIFTERS - The official site of the local model boat club.
A TOWN IN SOMERSET - A Shepton Mallet blog highlighting the regeneration of the town.
SHEPTON 21 - One of the groups actioning the regeneration scheme for the town.