CLICK A THUMBNAIL FOR A BIGGER PICTURE AND THE BIGGER PICTURE TO RETURN HERE
All maps © Woolly Pictures 2006
Click on either map to go to the Multimap web site for an interactive map. Site opens in a new window.
NOTES ON SHEPTON MONTAGUE
The name Shepton Montague, derives from it being a 'sheep settlement' (Shepton) and from it being held in 1086 by Drew de Montagu.
During the Civil War in 1647, a Puritan clergyman was killed here by Cavaliers and a local man was shot dead on his doorstep by Roundheads two years later.
The church of St Peter was gutted by fire in 1964. The restoration was completed in 1966. It includes a contribution by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II of the Royal Arms that reside above the south door. This was to replace a 1672 hatchment that was destroyed.
Sources: The Hidden Places Of Somerset and Somerset The Complete Guide by Robin Bush.
LINKS TO WEB SITES RELATED TO SHEPTON MONTAGUE
(Help this section to grow by sending your links here)