TINTINHULL

GALLERY     MAP     NOTES    LINKS

CLICK A THUMBNAIL FOR A BIGGER PICTURE AND THE BIGGER PICTURE TO RETURN HERE

CLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK FOR A BIGGER PICTURECLICK TO CHECK THE LATEST NEWS.

 

SOMERSET MAP - CLICK TO GO TO THE MULTIMAP WEB SITELOCAL MAP - CLICK TO GO TO THE MULTIMAP WEB SITE

All maps © Woolly Pictures 2006

Click on either map to go to the Multimap web site for an interactive map. Site opens in a new window.

TOP

NOTES ON TINTINHULL

The Hundred of Tintinhull came about when King Alfred divided the English counties into Hundreds.

As was usual in Somerset the Saxons avoided the Roman roads when siting their villages, so that Tintinhull is attractively grouped around a triangular village green to the south-east of the old Fosse Way.

Many of the houses are built of Hamstone, once quarried from nearby Ham Hill.

St Margaret's church dates back to the early 13th century and the stone for repairs to the churchyard wall, in 1518, was taken from the ruins of Montacute Castle.

In 1642 the church was raided by Roundhead troops, who contented themselves with taking two surplices which they cut up and handed out to the poor.

Sources: Somerset the Complete Guide by Robin Bush and The Somerset Village Book by the Somerset Federation of Women’s Institutes.

 

LINKS TO WEB SITES RELATED TO TINTINHULL

(Help this section to grow by sending your links here)

 

TINTINHULL GARDEN - National Trust web site

EAST LAMBROOK FARM - Nearby accommodation