CLICK A THUMBNAIL FOR A BIGGER PICTURE AND THE BIGGER PICTURE TO RETURN HERE
All maps © Woolly Pictures 2006
Click on either map to go to the Multimap web site for an interactive map. Site opens in a new window.
NOTES ON YATTON
Previously known as Jatune, Eaton and Yatton Blewitt, Yatton has developed over the centuries from a small farming village into a large bustling community.
In 1828 the remains of a Roman sepulchre were discovered. In 1884 a mosaic pavement was unearthed on the same site and further digs went on to prove it was all part of a Roman villa with a boat house on the side. There was also evidence to suggest that there was a forge and furnace room within the complex.
The church of St Mary's was known as the Cathedral of the Moors. It is of Norman origin with the present building dating from the 1320's. A spire was added in the 1450's but the top half was removed in 1595 and never replaced.
Source - Yatton Parish Council (www.yatton.net)
LINKS TO WEB SITES RELATED TO YATTON
(Help this section to grow by sending your links here)
YATTON VILLAGE - The official web site for the village.
YATTON PARISH COUNCIL - Including the history of Yatton.
YATTON RFC - The home site of the local rugby club.
WIKIPEDIA - The entry for Yatton.
YATTON ATHLETIC FC - The official site for the local football club.